Building Your Personal Brand
As a leader and an influencer, your personal brand is one of the most powerful tools that you can use to communicate your ideas and values. Your personal brand is not only represented by your outer image and character but also by the values your deliver and the way you carry yourself doing so. In this blog post, you will learn about the two brands/identities that you can embody to become an exceptional leader and an influencer, as well as how you can build your own personal brand.
The two types of identities you should present as a leader and an influencer are:
- Visual Identity (VI): It is inevitable that your audience will question your product or the value you are trying to deliver to them if your physical appearance is not appropriate. Thus, you will not be able to build rapport with them. For example, if you are a personal trainer, you must maintain a healthy-looking body to be able to build rapport with your customers.
- Corporate/Country Identity (CI): People often think that their personal brand is only about themselves. It’s not! If you are a leader or an influencer, you need to remember where you come from, who else you are representing and who your audience is. Whether you are representing your country or your company, remember to protect their brand and present it in the best way possible as that will strengthen your integrity and authenticity.
You VI and CI go hand in hand; giving up one of them will damage your personal brand and affect your integrity.
Here’s how you can build your personal brand:
- Be clear of your outcomes, values, and deliverables.
- Choose the right attire for the right occasion (You can’t dress like you are going to the gym if you are giving a keynote speech at a conference).
- Study your audience, their desires, needs, goals, values, and culture. Then use the appropriate language, vocabulary, tone of voice and body language.